Friday 17 April 2009

Rotter(damn) Marathon & Heathside

Well, again it's been weeks since an update. Two weeks ago today, I set off for Rotterdam to partake in the marathon courtesy of Adidas. A good taper I felt in the week leading up, althoguh the perils of work meant that getting in late meant meals were sacrificed for sleep and morning runs several times. On Staurday 4 April, I rocked up at the Beurs World Trade Centre, Rotterdam to collect my chip and numbers. Annoyed that I had been placed in group C (sub 3:30) I tried to get upgraded to 3:00 given my previous times, but the fuhrer was having none of it. So, stupidly with my parents, I did quite a bit of walking on Staurday and struggled to find a pasta meal in the evening - good planning Dave! Eventually we found a pasta restaurant, but I didn't eat till late and didn't eat a marathon meal (excuse the pun - cold coming on I feel).

So Sunday. I arrived at the race start early, following an early breakfast in the Hilton Hotel Rotterdam. Being at the front of the D section was comforting, but chatting to some Swiss fool and listening to his "expertise" of marathon running and how watched were a worthless necessity was just annoying. So anyway, at 11am the gun went and all was good. Despite an unplanned toilet break at km 2 (I was crammed at the front for 30 minutes so no chance to dash to the portaloo or even use a bottle) I was still running my km laps between 4:08 and 4:15. Was perhaps going a tad too fast but wasn't worried at this point. I even overtook a runner from Garden City Joggers at the section whcih loops back. At around 25km I saw my mother who was eagerly standing by the side of the track with her camera. All was good. I hit a half marathon of 1:27:30 (2 seconds off my pb for an incline half marathon) Until km 33...

So around the 30km mark, my left leg started to go. It felt heavy and was throbbing. I dropped my speed slightly, but was still holding around 4:10/km and hoping to finish at 2:56/2:57. However, I got the same sensation in my right leg, dropped back a bit until at 33 km's, I could no longer run. I walked and jogged, before being pulled over by a medic. He massaged the upper legs and told me to take some sugar right away. A bottle of Isotonic formular later, I am back on the track, but limping/walking/jogging. I decided around 37km, that jogging to the end was the only way. I swallowed my pride and the pain and continued to the finish line. The crowd was amazing (although they could have been implying I was a caring understanding nineties type or theat they would c me next tuesday - my Dutch is very limited). So 3:21 was the time and the pain was unreal. I iced both legs when I returned to the hotel and went out for a walk and coffee. It wasn't an injury - that much I know from being able to carry on running two days later, so I guess it was either setting off too fast, or not taking enough food on board. I feel cutting out too much the week before, may have been my downfall. Check out the videos and pictures and full stats here




So, Monday morning I attempted the gym but decided rest was desperately needed. Monday evening I completed a slow un-timed 4 mile run, and then a 10 mile run Tuesday morning. Ironically, Friday I completed my regular St. Albans loop in a record of 1:25 for 12 miles (very hilly and not the fastest course) and Sunday completed a 16 mile run in 1:59 (2 mins of my PB for that course) and beat a club runner. However, this week has been filled with pain and as a result a lack of running and increase of gym sessions.

Tuesday however I went along to the Heathside Running Club and completed 2X600m and 8X800m reps. 2:57 was the best for the 800's and 3:00 the worst. Defintiely some work to be done, but a friendly club. I shall join!

Today planned an 18 mile 5am run, but the rain was just too much and am feeling a cold coming on so decided a tough fast gym session would be better.... and drier.

Till tomorrow...... Oh and and forthcoming ING Luxembourg Marathon on 22 May (redemption)

No comments: